Search This Blog

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Trying something new

Steve and I are trying to conserve water. We live out in the country and our water comes from wells. So we actually have to buy hydrogen peroxide to mix with our water in this super crazy reverse osmosis water system we have or it's full of iron and smells like eggs and you really shouldn't drink it. That being said, it's an incredibly wasteful system. One) we have to buy hydrogen peroxide which is expensive and can't be great for the environment. Two) we have to collect all the plastic containers they give you with the peroxide because it's dangerous and they just end up in our basement because we hate throwing anything away. Three) the system actually expels about half as much water as it pushes out in the process - how dumb right? I know but I'm no scientist so all I can do is try with what I got... Anyhow, once I found out how much water we were wasting I almost threw up!! I immediately asked Steve to start filling the containers we had lying around the basement with the expelled water (which by the way is filtered more through this process than your own drinking water!!) I told him I wanted to use the water to do other things like wash and clean up/ give the dogs ect so my super crafty love went into his basement or garage or wherever he hides all his random crap and found me a spicket and put it on there and now we have it on our counter and we are using water less and being more conscious because this way you can see how much you are actually using. Big and bulky I know but if you saw my kitchen you would know I don't care. I also went to Ecocover soap which is supposed to be plant bottle based and all natural non haz. Still working on the plastic bag situation as you can see lol ;).  Start small! Control what you can control and stay positive, we'll get there!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment